Literacy Links is a free program in the St. James Assiniboia School Division that is offered May to August for children entering Kindergarten in the fall of that year. Families receive four home visits from trained and enthusiastic facilitators. During each interactive one hour session, facilitators will provide your family with lots of exciting games, activities and information on literacy and numeracy to help you learn together and prepare for school. The facilitaors work around your availability and can schedule visits in the morning, afternoon or early evening.
The focus of the program will include:
- Book selection and parent-child interaction during reading
- Environmental print (i.e. signs, labels, logos, etc.
- Rhymes, songs and word games to develop phonological awareness
- Appropriate writing opportunities
- Learning letter names and sounds
- Math concepts (i.e. patterning, counting, number recognition
- Suggestions for a positive transition to Kindergarten
Families will be provided with a home package of materials that include literacy information and guides, books, activities and games.
To find out more about Literacy Links, or register for the program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call #204-885-1334 ext.2304.